Sunday, April 3, 2011

FINDING YOUR WAY IN THE DARK

Occasionally, I read computer magazines. They tell me how to make my computer do what I want it to do. Later in the day, I may read an automotive manual that tells me how to change the spark plugs in my car. Then, in the afternoon, I may check one of our cooking books so I can make a cake or a casserole. And, in the evening, I may print a map showing directions to a speaking engagement I've scheduled. All of these books and magazines give me directions and instructions to do things that I want to do.

How wonderful it is that we have an instruction manual that tells us how to live and how to die. And even how to live again. From Genesis to Revelation, our road-map to heaven is complete and indispensable to the wayfaring traveler. A ship's Captain looks for a lighthouse to avoid the rocks, an airplane pilot wants the radar to warn him of other aircraft in his path, an explorer will check his compass to make sure he is on course, a military commander will review his map to make sure his army is in the right place, and a space scientist will analyze the position of the stars to make sure he plots his flight path accurately. All of them want to know where they are, and how to arrive safely at their destination. And, so do we.

I had a dinner meeting to attend several years ago at 7:00 p.m. When I was about 10 miles from home I noticed that my cars generator was not generating. There was no electrical charge making its way to my battery and I did not have time to do anything but continue my drive into the desert and on to my meeting which was one hour away. I drove as far as possible in the dusk before finally turning on my lights, knowing that my battery could only last a short time before being totally drained. As I pulled into the hotel parking lot the motor shut down and I coasted into a parking spot. I carried a battery charger with me and so, while dinner was served and I spoke to the crowd, my battery was in a hotel closet being charged. When the meeting was over I put the battery back in my car and began one of my longest, most prayer filled, drives home as my car lights got dimmer and dimmer. I even turned my lights off while driving in the desert in order to conserve my battery life. It was dark; very, very dark, and I just wanted to get home where I would be safe. At last, I finally turned into my driveway at midnight and, just as it did at the hotel, my car engine died and I coasted the last 10 feet and then melted into my seat.

Having sufficient light to guide you is important. Trying to drive through the desert of life in the dark without illumination can be a frightening and dangerous experience. You may injure yourself and others if you cannot see where you are going. You may miss a street or landmark and continue driving past your destination. And worst of all, you may run out of power in the middle of the desert and never reach home safely.

The Bible is the only reliable compass, road-map, lighthouse, or radar designed to provide you with directions in life. It gives you specific information about where you started your journey ("all are sinners"), gives you detailed directions for your journey (try the 10 Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount), tells you where you want to go ("In my Fathers home are many rooms, I'm going to prepare one for you"), and even promises a guide (God's Spirit) to help you get there.

From Genesis to Revelation, this Book will help us find our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment