Friday, April 8, 2011

MONTERREY

Oh, I know - Tony Bennett left his heart in San Francisco. Frank Sinatra sang about New York, New York. Others wanted to know the way to San Jose, and some sought life's meaning in Phoenix.

But I want you to know - I left my boots in Monterrey, Mexico.

Now there is a story behind that statement. You see, I was invited to tag along on a one week scripture blitz in Monterrey and Saltillo, Mexico during October, 1997. The participants were 6 Gideons from the U.S.A. and about 45 Mexican Gideons. Over 125,000 scriptures were shipped for placement during that week.

When I packed my suitcase for the journey, I took two pairs of old boots with me that had holes in the soles. I hoped that I could get them repaired in Mexico. Well, I didn't know that we were going to be on the road from dawn to dark every day with no time for me to take care of personal things like getting my boots repaired.

Finally, on Tuesday evening I arranged with a hotel bell-hop named "Danny" to take one pair of my boots to a local shoe repairman while I wore the other pair. When Danny brought my newly repaired boots back on Thursday evening, I gave him the second pair and was happy that I would have them back on Saturday morning in time to leave for the airport and catch my plane. Unfortunately, I had to move my flight up 24 hours which meant that my boots and the money to repair them stayed behind in Mexico while I was 25,000 feet in the air and heading home.

But, I had a song on my lips and peace in my heart as I thought about my boots in the care of "Danny." Why? Because Danny had prayed to receive Jesus Christ as his Savior when our group first arrived at his hotel in Monterrey, Mexico. I watched him during the week and saw the smile on his face as he interacted with the Gideon's. I just knew that my boots and my money were safe and secure with this new born babe in Christ. Jesus had become a part of his life, and he was now a brother in Christ.

November 25, 1997 my boots came home! They had traveled several thousand miles from Monterrey to Los Angeles. I wore those boots to a dinner meeting tonight. They are a testimony of God's grace and mercy. They once were tattered and torn. Then they were repaired, polished, and restored to usefulness. But, they were left behind in a far country and were of no value to their owner. And then they were redeemed! They were entrusted to the care of a faithful new-born Christian brother named Danny who sent them on their way to my house. I now share the story of those boots as a testimony to the majesty of God and the salvation of Danny, a hotel bell-hop in Monterrey, Mexico who found Christ as his Savior because Christians were faithful witnesses.












No comments:

Post a Comment