Tuesday, April 19, 2011

YOUR FRONT DOOR

Recently, I purchased a case of 100 Pocket New Testaments. I filled out the Order Blank, slipped a check into the envelope, went to the post office and mailed the letter. Two weeks later I came home to find a case of Pocket New Testaments sitting on my door step. I moved that case inside the house and placed it by the front door - where it will stay until it is completely empty. No longer will people come to my front door to sell me a roof, offer me a rug cleaner, collect for the newspaper, or just pass the time of day without being offered a copy of God's Word.

Now, I have an ulterior motive in buying "this" particular case of Pocket New Testaments. I want YOU to buy a case too! You see, I want Christians everywhere using God's Word in witnessing for our Lord Jesus. Sometimes we are very effective in our rather anonymous witnessing to people that we have little eyeball to eyeball contact with, but we are embarrassingly silent when it comes to our own individual personal witness. Yet we have absolutely the best tool available for personal witnessing in the various Pocket New Testaments available to us today.

What does it take to effectively use a Pocket New Testament? Do you need a ten point outline? Do you have to prove that Noah was related to Methuselah? Let me share with you a valuable lesson I learned while in Argentina and Chile to distribute scriptures. I don't speak Spanish. They did not speak English. Many times my "personal witness" was reduced to pointing to the back page of the Pocket New Testament. At other times my personal witness was a loud "here" as someone jogged by and was handed a New Testament. I believe that I communicated effectively, for each accepted a Pocket New Testament.

Some of us have spent time in various studies of theology, science and archaeology. We feel competent in spending hours and hours dialoguing with people about the validity of Christianity as a religion. But, frankly, people do not want to stand around and listen to us discuss our opinions about "religious" topics. They want a personal connection with God!

People are hungry for the Word of God. They want a copy of scripture. You don't have to be a famous evangelist to stick out your hand with a Pocket New Testament clutched between your fingers and say to someone, "Here, this can help you."

My plea to you is that you order a box of Pocket New Testaments and set them inside your front door. Ask God to send you some weary travelers who need to hear from God. This is an investment in eternity that will pay dividends forever. You will never know what the results will be as you share God's Word with others. God will honor your decision by sending people to you that only you can reach. You can make this a very special year for 100 very special people.

Here is a friend's story about the importance of receiving such a gift:

When I was six years old, Dad accepted a position as foreman at the Fox Greenhouse outside Tulsa, Oklahoma. We lived in a remodeled chicken house behind what seemed a two-story white mansion.

One day Mr. Fox's orthodox-Jewish mother knocked on our door and asked Mom, "What religion are you folks?" Like all persons who did not go to church my mother answered, "Methodist."

Every Sunday thereafter Mrs. Fox had the flower delivery truck deposit me at the Methodist church for Sunday School and pick me up afterwards. My class was taught by the wife of the mayor of Tulsa. She gave me a brown pulp New Testament.

I was stunned that anyone could be that generous and also believe that I could read. In modern terms, she raised my self-esteem about 10,000 feet. I read and treasured that volume until I was 12 years of age and that New Testament was left behind--over my protests--in a move to New Mexico. Sixty-five years later I still miss that book.”

No comments:

Post a Comment